Teeth whitening is one of the most sought after treatments to improve the appearance of teeth. With so many whitening products available, it can be difficult to know which one to try. You want teeth whitening that is safe and effective that will give you noticeably whiter teeth without causing sensitivity.
What’s the best way to whiten your teeth? Here’s an overview of various whitening products to help you find the best one for you.
Over the Counter Whitening Products
Over the counter whitening products are products you can purchase in the store without a prescription. Examples include:
- Whitening Toothpaste. The most commonly used whitening products are whitening toothpastes. The ease and convenience of whitening your teeth every time you brush is an attractive solution. However, whitening toothpaste is one of the least effective products. It may help remove some surface stains, but is not likely to give you dramatic results.
- Whitening Strips. Whitening strips containing a bleaching agent wrap around your teeth and are activated by your saliva. These are relatively effective as far as over the counter products are concerned. The biggest criticism is that many customers have experienced sensitivity after use.
- Whitening Pens/Wands. Whitening pens or wands contain a bleaching agent that you apply to your teeth using a felt tip or brush. Unlike whitening strips there is no barrier between your teeth and lips, which can cause the bleaching agent to rub off when you close your mouth.
Beware of over the counter or online products that promise results but may be harmful to your teeth, such as charcoal, which is highly abrasive and may damage tooth enamel. It is always best to talk to your dentist before using any teeth whitening products.
Professional Whitening Treatments
Your dentist can provide you with whitening treatment that is safe and effective. Examples of professional whitening treatments include:
- Take-home whitening. Take-home teeth whitening products are applied at home and can be used while you sleep. Your dentist will make you custom trays that fit comfortably and allow the bleaching agent to evenly whiten your teeth. The process may take a few weeks to achieve the desired results.
- In-office whitening. Some dental offices will apply a one time teeth whitening treatment in the office while you are there for a routine cleaning. This provides dramatic results with just one application.
Which Whitening Treatment is Best?
The best whitening treatment for you depends on your needs and personal preferences. Professional grade whitening products are gentler to your teeth and are more effective than over the counter products. Take-home whitening treatments are convenient, allowing you to gradually whiten your teeth in the comfort of your own home. You can reapply when you notice that your teeth are starting to look more dull or yellow over time.
Although professional grade products cost more up front, the results last longer which saves you money in the long run. And your smile will be noticeably whiter without causing sensitivity, which is a sign of weakening tooth enamel.
Stuart Prosthetic Dentistry Provides Teeth Whitening Treatment
If you want a whiter smile through healthy products, Stuart Prosthetic Dentistry can provide you with a treatment option that is safe and effective. Our take-home teeth whitening system comes with a custom tray that fits comfortably so you can whiten your teeth at home. Apply the bleaching agent according to your dentist’s instructions until you achieve your desired results.
Call 772-286-1606 today to schedule a consultation or request an appointment.